Monday, February 23, 2009

Iter Facere est Vivere (I)

So, a blog. The reason: license plates from Ontario.

Look, this is really just a way for me to relate to YOU, dedicated viewers, various silly little anecdotes from my day to day life. Mainly those that deal with travels. Not necessarily long road trips, but just the types of things you can only experience away from home. Even if that's just next door.

So to start: Alan and I found a delightful cafe completely by accident on our trip home from Pensacola (for Pierre & Stefanie's wedding). We were in a bagel mood in Tallahassee and so we turned down a random road hoping for the best and lo and behold, a redundant spot called "Bagel Bagel Cafe." Seriously-delicious. They had a variety of bagel creations, including what we both ended up getting, a sun-dried tomato bagel baked with spinach cream chesse, provolone and tomato slices. Totally worth driving across I-10 for, at least bi-monthly...

So by the time we got to 75 off of I-10 we were on the home stretch and yearning greatly to be back in Gainesville. I put on Third Eye Blind's self-titled album (there aren't many CDs better than that) and started noticing the cars that we passed (or were passed by). And that's when I started paying attention to the license plates. After a couple minutes I decided to record every state I saw because I was immediately surprised by the diversity. Here was the final count: Alabama (1), Louisiana (1), Tennessee (2), Indiana (2), North Carolina (1), Missouri (2), Kansas (1), New Jersey (1), Mississippi (1), Pennsylvania (1), Oklahoma (1), Georgia (5), Maine (1), Ontario (2), Quebec (1), and Florida (14). So 62% of the cars we saw within 30 minutes were not even from Florida! And 3 were from Canada, of all places. Now maybe this doesn't surprise you in the least, but I for one found it shocking. So there THAT is.

P.S. "Iter facere est vivere" : To make a journey is to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment