Thursday, December 10, 2009

Infans Venit!

The past several nights I've wanted to watch a Christmas movie. But alas, I did not have enough foresight in my Netflix choices to arrange such a thing. Granted, I could go in and switch up my queue, but I have this silly thing about not wanting to remember what I put on there so it's a "surprise" when they come (something I think I mentioned before). So with the queue I will not mess. I did watch Blood Diamond (which I actually bought a couple months ago) the other night and it was excellent- just as eye-opening as everyone claims. See it.

Anyway, tonight's movie was Children of Men. I remember when I first heard about it I was interested, but never enough to actually see it. But my friend Chris had recommended it (along with almost all the movies on my queue). So as I was watching, I wasn't loving it. It was really depressing, and too many people were dying. But....okay, if you haven't seen it, the basic premise is that sometime in 2009 all women became infertile, and by the year 2027 all of earth has gone haywire. Everyone is killing everyone. You know. There are secret groups, that kind of thing. Anyway, suddenly this girl shows up and she's pregnant. So a few people are trying to get her to "safety" without exposing to the world that she has a baby (and I didn't really understand what that safety was...). So there's all this shooting, all this dying, and at one point the baby's crying and there's a ceasefire. The girl walks downstairs with her crying baby, and all the people freeze and are staring and crying and kneeling. I started crying. I couldn't understand what it must be like to not see or hear a baby for 18 years, and suddenly one appears. One that causes everyone to be silent and stop fighting and fall on their knees in awe and confusion. And then, 30 seconds later, the firing begins again, and the miraculous child is forgotten.

Anyway, I kind of got my Christmas movie. In a bizarre way.

P.S. "Infans Venit" - "The Child has come"

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Children of Men - a bit strange and violent, yes, but some of those long-shoot sequences without cuts are pretty awesome. And I agree, Blood Diamond is quite excellent.

    ReplyDelete