Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Diligere est Vivere

Yikes.

   So this whole year I've been calling my students "my kids". I never really thought about what I was saying. And then last night, as I clicked the "Submit" button on my grad school application, and suddenly moving to New York became that much more realistic, I was hit with a wave of sadness. I couldn't figure out why, until I rewound the day in my mind and thought back to the fundraiser I had just participated in with the Latin Club. I loved it. I loved seeing them show up, so excited to start. I loved how they actually brought their togas and wore them on the side of the road. I loved how they yelled and screamed and waved posters at passers-by. And I just loved spending time with them outside of the classroom. As the night progressed, I became more and more anxious about next year. Housing, dog, money... and leaving my students. 
   Today I was relating this to a parent I've become friends with in our school office. She told me that I couldn't let my attachment to them hold me back, because they're going to grow up and no longer be my students and then graduate and then move on just like I need to. Just like kids move away from their parents. When she said that I realised that all this time I've been calling them "my kids" and not thinking about why. Now I know. Because she's right... somehow, at the age of 22, I have an attachment to these young teenagers, not unlike a parent has to their children. Certainly not as extreme...not even close. But not unlike. And she's also right that they're going to move on. Forget about me and Latin in a few years. That too makes me sad... but she's right. I can't let them hold me back, especially since this is probably the only time in my life that I can do something like this. 
   But let it be said, despite how stressed I get, despite how angry I get, despite how many times I've said "I can't wait to get out of here".... I love it. My job. My students. Especially my students. 


P.S. "Diligere est Vivere": To love is to live.
(I chose "diligere" rather than "amare" for a reason. "Amare" is the basic word for "love". "Diligere" is a combination of two Latin words which literally means "to choose from". That is, a love that sets the person above all others. It has always been my favorite. And when you have that, you can get through the day.)

1 comment:

  1. I just happened upon your blog by chance. I'm going through the exact same thing at a high school where I'm teaching and it was really nice to read your feelings on the same experience.

    Your explanation of the difference between diligere and amare is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete